This original recipe by Lola Berry is a much healthier alternative to mainstream Chocolate Cake recipes, whilst still maintaining flavour and deliciousness.
For the Cake:
- 3 cups of almond meal
- 1/4 of a cup of coconut flour
- 3/4 of a cup of raw cocoa powder
- 1 vanilla pod (or a pinch of vanilla powder / a dash of vanilla extract)
- 1 cup of Comvita Clover Honey or UMF 5+ Manuka Honey
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 60ml of coconut oil, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of full cream coconut milk
- A topping of your choice - e.g. desiccated coconut
For the Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 1/2 cups of full cream coconut milk
- 4 tbsp of Comvita Clover Honey
- 1/2 cup of raw cocoa powder
- 1/2 vanilla pod (or a pinch of vanilla powder / a dash of vanilla extract)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of an 18cm spring form cake tin with coconut oil.
- Mix together the almond meal, coconut flour, cocoa powder, vanilla seeds, Manuka honey and baking soda.
- Mix the melted coconut oil (ensure it is not too hot or it may scramble the eggs), eggs and coconut milk. Slowly add the dry ingredients and blend together until smooth batter is formed.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Once cooked, turn out of tin and leave to cool on a wire cooling rack. Once cool, cut the cake in half horizontally.
- For the ganache: in a medium saucepan, heat the coconut milk and Clover Honey slowly, stirring every now and then - if you want a thicker consistency give it up to an hour.
- Once the ganache is ready, add the cocoa powder and the vanilla extract/pods and stir for another few minutes; place it in the fridge to cool for 20 minutes.
- Once cool, spread the ganache on one half of the cake; and place the second layer of cake on top. Coat the whole cake in ganache.
- Decorate with topping of your choice.
Discover our full range of Everyday Honey here.
More recipes like this: