Manuka Honey Glazed Gammon Recipe
Christmas is a great time for those of us who like to cook and to show off our skills to the rest of the family! If you’re hosting this year, why not serve up a traditional gammon, with a unique, sweet twist?
Collected from the Manuka flower that is native to New Zealand, UMF® Manuka Honey is renowned for its rich flavour and versatile nature. It is recognised around the world for its unique properties that are not found in regular, common types of honey.
As Manuka flowers experience a growing season of just 2-6 weeks every year, they are truly one of nature’s special gifts –a honey that is unlike anything most people would have tasted. Which makes it ideal to use to create an unforgettable recipe this Christmas!
Serving Manuka Honey Glazed Gammon
If you are indeed hosting the family this Christmas, here is a handy recipe to create Manuka honey glazed gammon:
Ingredients (to serve 10-20 people).
2-4kg of boned and rolled smoked gammon
2 small onions, peeled and halved
2 standard carrots, washed and cut into short lengths
2 sticks of celery, cut into short lengths
4 bay leaves
12 black peppercorns
Small handful of whole cloves
(To create the glaze)
4 tablespoons of UMF Manuka honey
4 tablespoons of English mustard
Place the gammon into a large saucepan and cover it with cold water. Bring to boil over high heat, then remove the pan and drain the water.
1. Refill the pan with fresh water, then add the carrots, celery, onions, bay leaves and peppercorns. Return to heat and bring to boil. Reduce the heat, cover and leave the gammon to simmer gently for 20 minutes (per 500g) – if the pan isn’t large enough for the water to cover the joint, turn it over halfway through the cooking time.
2. When the gammon is ready, remove the pan from the heat, carefully lift the meat from the water and place it on a board/plate. Leave it to cool for 15 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas mark 6. With a small knife, carefully cut and peel away the rind, leaving as much fat on as possible. Etch the fat into a diamond pattern and place a clove into the middle of each diamond. Line a roasting tin with a large piece of foil and place in the gammon. Ensure you bring up both sides of the foil to create a bowl shape in which the gammon can rest.
4. In order to make the glaze, mix the UMF Manuka honey and mustard together until the combination is smooth and brush half of it over the gammon, including in the face. Bake in the central part of the oven for 10 minutes. Take it out of the oven and brush the other half of the mixture over the gammon.
5. Place the gammon back into the oven, placing the tin so that the front end of the gammon is facing the back. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the fat is glossy and gold/brown. If the top of the meat starts to get too brown in places, cover these areas with small pieces of foil. Once cooked, carefully remove the meat and leave it to stand for at least 15 minutes before carving.
6. Collect any marinade from the foil into a small pan and warm it gently. When carving the gammon into thin slices, serve each piece with a little of this hot baste.
Try Our Range Of UMF Manuka This Christmas
Here at Comvita, we have been connecting people with the natural goodness for over 40 years. Creating high quality natural health products is at the very heart of our ethos. In order to offer assurance that only genuine Manuka is sold to our customers, our honey is independently tested by the Unique Manuka Factor Association and given a rating in regards to its Manuka potency.
In our online store, you will find a wide range of UMF Manuka honey that is perfect to use as an everyday sweetener for cooking or for general wellbeing. Why not check out our current sale in which we have a number of UMF honeys available for less? We have also combined our Manuka honey with some of our other natural produce – such as our Kitchen Cupboard-Must Have Pack. Containing UMF 5+ Manuka (that would be perfect to use as garnish) with Apple Cider Vinegar, offering any cook the ideal opportunity to try out something new, even with the most well-practised of recipes.
Contact Us For Information On UMF® Manuka
If you would like any further information on any of our Manuka honey or natural products, then please get in touch with a member of customer support team today. You can give us a call on 01628 779 460 or alternatively, you can send an e-mail to us at email@example.com.