A Rich and Unique Ingredient. Discover the power of Comvita Certified UMF® Manuka Honey from New Zealand. Every drop is pure, precious, and crafted to perfection.
Manuka honey, collected from Manuka (Leptospermum Scoparium) flowers, is only available from New Zealand’s most pure and remote locations. Renowned for its rich flavour, Manuka Honey is recognised worldwide for its unique properties not found in ordinary honey. It is unsurprisingly used as a key ingredient in many products such as juices, hot drinks, soaps, hair products and sweets. Historically it has also been used medicinally for aiding sore throats, skin conditions and digestion.With a flowering season of just 2-6 weeks a year, it is definitely one of nature's special gifts.
UMF stands for "Unique Manuka Factor". The UMF grading system appraises natural markers found in Manuka honey, and assures purity & quality. The UMF® mark is an independent certification of quality that guarantees our honey’s natural origins, from our hives in some of the most pristine parts of New Zealand. And it’s a definitive measure of the rare Manuka properties within.
Every batch of Comvita® UMF® Manuka honey is independently analysed and certified for quality, purity and authenticity by the UMF® Honey Association (UMFHA). The UMF® number indicates the level of the unique Manuka properties within the honey. The UMFHA also conducts random sampling to monitor quality regularly, ensure Manuka honey carrying the UMF® mark is true to label.
Comvita Manuka Honey carries UMF® mark, which means all three naturally occurring signature compounds, Leptosperin, DHA and Methylglyoxal are measured, that together indicate high quality, authentic Manuka honey - while other systems measure only one or two. This process gives you a much more comprehensive and assured view of what's in your honey. Please see www.umf.org.nz for further information on the grading system and UMF quality mark. Comvita is license holder 1019
UMF® Manuka Honey is always at the heart of Comvita’s products, besides honey in a pot that can be enjoyed straight from the spoon, in a smoothie, Manuka recipes or in your favourite beverages; Comvita has specially formulated UMF® Manuka Honey in various products for targeted goodness.
1. Immune Support Elixirs - Comvita's Winter Wellness range of products contains UMF 10+ soothing Manuka honey and the Elixirs also contain zinc to support the immune system.* The essential ingredients are combined with Propolis and Blackcurrant, for a soothing Elixir.
2. Lozenges - Manuka honey infused lozenges to soothe throats as the Manuka Honey melts in your mouth, we have a selection of Pure UMF 10+ Lozenges that can be carried around and used in tea to Manuka Honey with Lemon and Ginger or Propolis, the perfect on the go selection. For Children we recommend Manuka Honey lollipops.
3. Natural Sweetener - UMF 5+ Manuka honey can be used in cooking for different ways of taking this everyday goodness; cakes, drizzled on breakfasts, lovely on yogurt.
4. Wound healing aids - Comvita®’s Medihoney® Wound Gel contains medical grade antibacterial Manuka honey, which has been scientifically researched and clinically proven to naturally support wound healing and reduce the risk of infection. There are over 14 years of research and safety data including over 130 case studies, laboratory studies and randomised controlled trials, supporting Medihoney® Wound Gel, which is used in hospitals and clinics around the world with outstanding results, on burns, ulcers and open wounds.
5. Derma care for dry, itchy and sensitive skin - Formulated with medical grade Manuka honey, the Medihoney® Wash, lotions and creams are fragrance free, soap free and dermatologically tested for dry, itchy and sensitive skin use.
6. Oral Spray - Combining the power of UMF®10+ Manuka honey, herbal ingredients and Propolis to numb your throat, Comvita Oral Spray is a handy helper on the go.
(*Manuka Honey Elixir with Blackcurrant, Propolis Herbal Elixir contain zinc and copper which contribute to the normal function of the immune system.)
Many factors can affect the quality of Manuka honey - it’s natural so the sun, wind and rain all play a part. Comvita analyses Manuka honey in our world-leading laboratory to ensure every drop is independently certified for quality and authenticity by the UMF® Honey Association. Every jar of Comvita® UMF® Manuka Honey is traceable from source to shelf.
We work closely with our bees and beekeepers to produce UMF® Manuka Honey of the highest quality. Only the best honey will make the Comvita® Honey quality grade. No other company knows Manuka Honey like Comvita.
Do you have a question about Manuka Honey? Below you'll find answers from our honey expert to the questions we get asked the most about.
Q: Is Manuka Honey Antibacterial?
A: Manuka Honey contains the 3 natural occurring chemical markers that we test for to give its powerful activity, which is why Antibacterial Wound Gel a Manuka Honey gel is used in hospitals for healing.
Q: How do I know my Manuka Honey is real?
A: There have been lots of reports about some brands not testing to what is considered Manuka Honey. New Zealand have tightened their regulations and only some definitions Manuka Honey can be sold in New Zealand stores, Comvita Manuka Honey is sold in New Zealand the home of Manuka honey.
Q: Can I take Manuka Honey during pregnancy?
A: Manuka Honey has been taken by pregnant women for many years with no reported problems as a result of its ingestion. As a food, we suggest that UMF Manuka Honey is generally considered safe to take during pregnancy. If you do have concerns, please consult your healthcare professional. Not to be taken when breastfeeding.
Q: Can I take Manuka Honey if I am diabetic?
A: If your healthcare professional has suggested that honey could be consumed with your condition, Comvita recommends to start with small quantities and monitor blood sugar levels. Indian Ayurvedic physicians suggest that honey serves as a valuable sugar substitute and can be consumed by diabetic subjects. Recent studies suggest that honey is tolerated by individuals with impaired glucose tolerances.
Q: Is Comvita Manuka Honey raw?
A: Honey that is left 'raw' straight from the hive contains bee pollen and parts of the bee hive or the honey comb. Comvita's honey is filtered remove these particles, to ensure you have a raw clean honey.
Q: UMF and MGO, what's the difference?
A: UMF is the standard due to the UMFHA (UMF Honey Association), a highly respected independent organisation. UMF standard does not only measure the unique antibacterial properties of some Manuka Honeys, but also to ensure companies who are producing Manuka Honey are adhering to strict quality guidelines. All other measuring tools ('MG', 'Active', 'NPA') are used at the discretion of the producing company, with no third party checks in place. The UMFHA regularly conducts audits on all companies using the UMF trademark.
Back To Top